Blog Archive

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Congressman Howard Berman Responds to Armenia Blog



Following the introduction of the Armenian Genocide Resolution, I wrote to Congressman Howard Berman. Here is his reply:
Dear Mr. [edited]:

Thank you for contacting me about the Armenian Genocide. You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of H. Res. 106, the Armenian Genocide Resolution, and I voted for similar legislation when it was considered in committee during the last Congress. I will work to ensure that the resolution is brought up in committee again and makes its way to the Floor of the House for a vote.

On a related matter, you may be interested to know that I signed a letter to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemning the assassination of Armenian-Turkish editor Hrant Dink. I encourage the Turkish government to continue its investigation into the killing of Mr. Dink, and have also called on the prime minister to repeal Article 301, a section of the Turkish penal code making it a crime to "insult Turkishness," under which Mr. Dink had previously been prosecuted. Furthermore, I have also cosponsored H. Res.102, legislation which condemns the Dink assassination and calls for the vigorous prosecution of those responsible for his assassination.

I appreciate the opportunity to share my views and look forward to hearing from you again in the near future.


Sincerely,

HOWARD L. BERMAN
Member of Congress
Of course, Howard Berman's 28th district has many Armenians and it is a political necessity to support the bill and related causes. Regardless, he is the only representative who wrote back.

Of Interest: Howard Berman

No comments: