Blog Archive

Thursday, February 8, 2007

British Dancer Strips With Armenian Flag



I couldn't make this up even if I tried! One thing I do know, however, is that I would have loved to have been there. You'll see why.
While appearing at Stanislavsky State Theater before a full hall of about 600 dance fans, [Nigel]Charnock performed a dance that many in the audience said was like "from a strip club", making some uncomfortable and challenging conservative definitions of "art".

...trouble came when he wrapped his loins in a British flag, then covered his torso in the Armenian tricolor. He also danced on top of each flag. Charnock told reporters that he wore the Armenian flag because he "felt surrounded by Armenian friendship".

While ordering that Thursday’s performance be cancelled, [Ministry of Culture's Hasmik] Poghosyan said it was not a matter of censorship, but that: "He can stand, chew, swallow his flag, but it is forbidden to disrespect the Armenian flag and is punished by criminal law."
This is just too much fun! I don't know which part I like more: the fact that Armenians in Armenia most likely aren't aware of the word "art" outside of a museum or that there is a law in Armenia that prohibits "disrespecting" the flag, which is punishable under criminal law?

Frankly, the outcome of the elections has taken a back seat for me. Without freedom of expression, who the hell needs a democratically elected president?

On another note, turns out you can even email Hasmik Poghosyan, the Minister of Culture! I'll drop her a line and tell you if she responds.

Source: ArmeniaNow

1 comment:

Arev Basevi said...

I completely agree. What makes it even more interesting is that fact that he wasn't intending to insult Armenia, he was attempting to show affection. I completely disagree with any ridiculous law that bans doing whatever you please to a piece of cloth, but the least they could have done was take his intentions into consideration.