Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Homeless People are Dying on the Streets of Yerevan. Again.



What a sad, sad story:
“Help us. Igor is dying,” Tony said with tears in his eyes. "We all are going to die soon. Eight people have already died this winter. Gayane, Ashot from Shamshadin, Mamikon… David died lying next to the garbage dump – I called emergency."

"I have a spasm in my throat. I'm cold. I sleep on the concrete floor. Even now when the fire is lit I don't feel it; I can't get warm." [said Igor]

Igor Brutkaroyan died on the night of December 30th.
There are many more stories like this. Just because these people have no homes - and it is for many reasons - it does not make them any less human. They feel cold, they feel hungry, they feel alone. And we all know the Armenian perspective on the less fortunate people in society: complete and utter disgust and ignorance.

I commend Hetq for running this story, along with many others devoted to homelessness in Armenia.

No comments: