Blog Archive

Friday, February 16, 2007

ArmeniaBlog Exclusive: Rare Interview with Armenian Boxer Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan!



It is with great pleasure that I present to you a rare and exclusive interview conducted by Armenia Blog with none other than the fearsome Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan! In case you have been living under a rock for some time, Vanes is the undefeated 12-0 Armenian boxer in the Super Welterweight category. If you remember, we reported his last victory in January!

ArmeniaBlog: Let's start from the beginning: what made you decide to be a boxer?
Vanes: At the age of 7, my dad started taking me and my two brothers to train at local boxing gyms. We were all pretty good, but I guess he saw it the most in me, and since that age always pushed me to be the best and to never quit. As I got older, I loved the sport more and more and making the US Olympic team in 2004 made me realize that this was just the beginning of my boxing career. Once I got back from Greece, I had many offers to turn pro and in early 2005, I finally signed my professional contract with Bob Arum and Top Rank Promotions at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

ArmeniaBlog: Are there any particular boxers in history that are your heroes?
Vanes: As heroes, I'd definitely say Muhammad Ali, because he was just an icon and so much more than just a boxer. As far as role models go, Oscar De La Hoya has always been a person as well as boxer that I have looked up to. His class and charisma both in and out of the ring have always amazed me. We are friends now, and he refers to me often times as "the Armenian Golden Boy" which is kinda nice.

ArmeniaBlog: Moving on, my Armenian friends always ask about your unusual name. Is Vanes your birth name?
Vanes: Sure is, - Vanes Martirosyan, oh and so is "Nightmare" (wink)

ArmeniaBlog: What was it like participating in the Olympic Games? If given the opportunity, would you do it again in the future?
Vanes: Ah, The Olympic Games. Wow! It was just incredible, and probably the most memorable two months of my life. I met so many different people from so many different countries in the Greek city of Athens which was so beautiful and historic. My family was there with me, and it all felt like a dream, especially after I won my first bout against Algeria. I feel proud being the first ever Armenian US Olympian, and the first ever out of Glendale, CA. I got a lot of love here on my return home, it was all surreal.
As far as participating in the 2008 Olympics, of course Id love to, but that is no longer an option given professionals are not allowed in the Olympics since it is an amateur only sporting event.

ArmeniaBlog: Having a perfect 12-0 pro record must take a lot of work. How much do you train normally (like now) and before upcoming fights? Do you ever not train?
Vanes: I’m constantly training, there really is no off-season with boxing. I have to stay ready and focused to fight on just a few days notice if I have to. My regular training schedule near fight time is a 5 mile run very early in the morning, then I get a bit of rest and hit my boxing gym in the afternoon. At the WildCard Boxing Club in Hollywood, I train with one of the best trainers in the world, Freddie Roach. My physical fitness workouts I do with another world class trainer of mine, Justin Fortune.

ArmeniaBlog: Speaking of upcoming fights, do you know when you'll be fighting next and who?
Vanes: The opponent we don’t know yet, but looks like my next fight will be on April 13 in Chicago, Illinois. It's Friday the 13th, hmm... should be fun.

ArmeniaBlog: Here's an interesting one: which one of your fights was most memorable to you and why?
Vanes: I’d say my latest fight, from Jan. 27 at The Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. The reason being I was very excited to be back home so close to my local fans here in Southern Cali after one whole year of only fighting in Las Vegas. The turnout was LOUD to say the least and that noise and support was from Armenians, Mexicans, and everyone else in that packed arena. Of course my 2nd round TKO victory helped the noise level.

ArmeniaBlog: Looking ahead, where do you see yourself professionally in 10 years?
Vanes: Wow, 10 years, that seems so far ahead, God knows. The boxing world moves so fast that I really want to look ahead just 1 or 2 years from now. By the end of this year, my management team, headed by Shelly Finkel, wants me to be a Top 10 contender for all the major world title belts. This is a huge build up year for me because in 2008 we plan on going after the Jr. Middleweight world champions.

ArmeniaBlog: Based on your experiences, what words can you impart to young athletes who wish to become successful?
Vanes: Determination and focus has to be number one. It is never easy to wake up at 6am to run 5 miles when it's dark and you know most others are sound asleep, but it's definitely worth while when you go in the ring and out class your opponent due to that extra mile.
Also, a healthy diet is a must so you gotta watch what you eat and take care of your body. At last, just stay humble, because that personality trait will always be valued more by your friends and fans compared to your physical sports talent.

ArmeniaBlog: Besides boxing, what other things do you like to do?
Vanes: Oh I'm an all around athlete. Any time off of boxing I like to spend with my close friends playing some basketball, soccer, tennis, and even some poker (ya, they call that a sport too these days). I do enjoy the nightlife on occasion with my close friends.
Boxing takes a lot out of you both physically and mentally, so relaxing is a must, and that’s best done with my family.

ArmeniaBlog: Tell us something about you that only you know. The stranger, the better!
Vanes: My official website address... www.VanesBoxing.com
I’m joking, but hey what a nice way to get that in the interview huh.
I am a bit superstitious though, I do things like always put on my right hand boxing glove first before I wear the left. Ya, I guess im not all that strange, or just don’t have the time to be.

ArmeniaBlog: What are your final words to your friends and fans to conclude this interview?
Vanes: I want to tell you all how much I love you and what you mean to me as part of Team Nightmare. I will always train and fight hard to keep you proud and cheering loud.
2007 is a very big year for me and I hope to see you up close at all my fights and thank you personally. I would also like to thank ArmeniaBlog for this great interview. I wish you all peace and happiness, God Bless.

I want to thank Vanes very much for the interview! Armenia Blog wishes him a great boxing career!

2 comments:

Cman said...

my name is craig robledo. I had a chance to meet vanes, and chill with him at Edward Tarverydans gym in glendale during my stay there.
this interview is pretty cool.
i never knew just how famous he was till i got back to texas.

Bobby D. said...

What a great post. I stop by to read your blog from time to time. enjoyable.